St. Mary's Catholic School, Temple, Texas
Library Procedures and General Information for Students
Library Hours are : M - F 7:45 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
Students in grades 5 - 8 may check out 2 books at a time.
Grades 1 - 4 are limited to one book at a time. If it is absolutely necessary for the student to have more than the allowed number of books, special arrangements can be made with the Library Manager.
All books are checked out for a period of 2 weeks. Books will need to be returned on or before the due date to avoid incurring the fine of $.10 / day. Students may re-check their books for another 2 weeks if needed.
If a book is overdue the Library Manager will notify the student as well as the teacher. Parents will also be notified after a period of time in order to limit the amount of the fine.
If the student is unable to return the book (lost, stolen, damaged) the family will be charged a standard replacement fee of $20.00. The fines incurred to that date will also be assessed.
To check out a book: Bring your selection to the counter. The Library Manager will assist you with signing the book card and stamping the date-due slip in the book. If the Library Manager is not available, use this procedure:
Take the book card out of your book.
Sign your name and stamp the card with the Date Due stamp.
Place the card in the little red bucket on the counter.
DO NOT PUT THE BOOK CARD BACK IN YOUR BOOK!
Stamp the date-due slip in your book. This will remind you of the
date to return your book to the library.
The Date Due stamp has been set 2 weeks forward--- the date that your
book is due, not the current date. Please don't change the stamp!!
To return a book: Drop your book into the book-drop slot in the door or leave it on top of the counter. Please do not reshelve any books on the book shelves!! If your book is overdue, please pay your fine when you return your book. Remember that your fine continues to increase until your book is returned! If you lost your book talk to the Library Manager to make arrangements to replace the book or to pay the fine.
Online Card Catalog: You may search for a book in the Library by using our electronic card catalog. As long as the Library Manager is present you may log onto one of the student computers to access our Researcher program. This program can be accessed on any computer in the school and can be used with your teacher's permission.
Reference Materials : Dictionaries and encyclopedias are not for regular check out. They can only be used by the students in the library area.
Other things to remember: The smaller Elementary library contains the books for grades 1 - 4. The bigger Junior High library is primarily used by grades 4 - 8. The 'Series' section in the Junior High library is often appropriate for elementary students, also. The Library Manager may stop you from checking out a particular book that is not appropriate for your grade level.
The Library is a quiet workplace --- do not talk loudly or excessively. Library time is not play time -- you may be asked to leave if you cannot follow these simple rules.
Revised August 2014
Library Policy and Procedures
1. Each elementary grade is given one day/week to come into the Library as a class. This time may be used for a special class project, or simply for reading time. Kindergarten students will have Storytime once per week.
If you are planning a project (research, genres, group reading) and need books and information pulled from the shelves, please notify me a few days in advance and I will follow up. The more specific about your needs, the better able I am to do my job.
2. Teachers will be present with their class during this time. It makes it a much more
productive time for them when there are at least 2 adults present to answer questions and facilitate the activities. At the beginning of the year I will go over the basics of the Library so that teachers and students can become more familiar with the set up.
3. The library will be closed to students OTHER than the assigned class during scheduled library time. This will cut down on interruptions and distractions.
4. All students are permitted to come to the Library during the day with their teacher's permission. They may check out more than one book per week. Grades 5-8 are allowed to check out 2 books at a time. Grades 1-4 may check out only 1 book at a time. Kinder students do not check out books.
5. SMCS uses the online cataloging system, Alexandria. During school hours the card catalog can be accessed from your computer by typing in 10.36.1.110:80 into your browser. This will allow you to search for titles, DVD, VHS, Audio books.
6. The Library has 2 student computers that may be used for research or homework assignments. A staff member MUST be present when a student is using the computer! No exceptions. There are 10 iPad minis available for student and staff use. They may be signed out through the library.
7. Library will be open by 7:45 a.m. and close at 4:00 p.m. daily. The doors will be locked when I am out for an extended period of time. Otherwise, come and browse!
Revised August 2014